Life is imperfect. There is no sense in being indignant or frustrated about it. But you must be tired of this moralizing since your childhood.
To look for leadership potential, observe how you or your co-worker deal with imperfection:
- Do you have an awareness of the issues?
- If given resources, do you know how to “solve” the problem?
- If not given the resources, do you have the creativity to make progress, and make a business case for more resources?
- Can you do this while containing your frustrations day in and day out?
- Can you do this while inspiring yourself and others to go to the next level?
- Are you surprised by, and resisting the workload? Or do you embrace, not merely tolerate what it takes to do the above?
Life sucks. Squeeze the lemon and make lemonade. If you have a better, healthier option, please let me know.
There is a short supply of people who can do this, if you want to stand out, and be different (in a good way), this is your way forward.